Ottilie PATTERSON - The First Lady of British Blues
Privacy and Security Policy
By far the outstanding, most powerful female British Blues/R&B singer of her era, former Belfast art teacher OTTILIE PATTERSON sang with Chris Barber's band between 1955-73.
Although the slight, demure Ottilie looked like a shy Irish coleen, she sang like a white Bessie Smith, as Louis Armstrong once famously observed.
She recorded prolifically, both as a solo artiste and as an ensemble band member, and this compilation is drawn from both sources.
Includes a handful of solo singles, plus seven sides from her critically-acclaimed 1961 solo LP, 'Blues Book Vol.1', alongside tracks from The Chris Barber Band's three biggest-selling albums, 'In Concert, Vols 1, 2 & 3'.
Features duets with Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee and Louis Jordan.
Ottilie was an exceptional live performer, and 10 of these sides are either from official Live albums or gigs which Barber recorded professionally, but were unreleased at the time.
A half-dozen or so of these twenty-seven sides are virtually impossible to find elsewhere on CD.
1. I HATE A MAN LIKE YOU (live)
2. NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT
3. BEALE ST. BLUES
4. KAY CEE RIDER
5. I LOVE MY BABY
6. MEAN MISTREATER (live)
7. LOWLAND BLUES (live)
8. WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN (live) (with Sister Rosetta Tharpe)
9. WHEN THINGS GO WRONG (live) (with Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee)
10. MOONSHINE MAN (live)
11. GEORGIA GRIND (live)
12. STRANGE THINGS HAPPENING EVERY DAY (live)
13. TROMBONE CHOLLY
14. AS LONG AS I'M MOVING
15. BAD SPELL BLUES
16. KID MAN BLUES
17. FOUR POINT BLUES
18. IT'S ALL OVER
19. MAMA HE TREATS YOUR DAUGHTER MEAN
20. TELL ME WHY
21. ME AND MY CHAUFFEUR BLUES
22. LORDY LORDY IT HURTS SO BAD
23. ONLY THE BLUES
24. CAN'T AFFORD TO DO IT (live)
25. WEEPING WILLOW BLUES (live)
26. I HATE MYSELF (For Being So Mean To You)
27. T'AINT NOBODY'S BUSINESS IF I DO (with Louis Jordan)
- Price Code
- Release Date
- November 9th 2018
- UPC Bar Code No
- 604988 26572 9