Various Artists - R&B Chartmakers with a Difference
Privacy and Security Policy
Apart from a two year break during the mid-60s, Billboard magazine has published a chart reflecting the record buying habits of black Americans for over 70 years. Throughout the last 50 of those years, its content has predominately featured soul, hip hop, blues and r&b. However during the first 20, Billboard's r&b chart also featured the pop, MOR and rock 'n' roll records that were crossing over to black audiences.
Those early charts have always made for fascinating reading - and now, for the first time, they make for a fascination listening tool! 'R&B Chartmakers…With a Difference' offers more than two dozen classic non-r&b hits that appealed to white and black record buyers alike in the USA between 1955 and 1962.
All of our inclusions should be immediately familiar to anyone who loves the music of the 50s and 60s, as should the artists who made them. It's interesting to speculate on why these particular records appealed to black buyers while others in a similar mould did not - but when all's said and done, it's all great music and a worthy addition to your collection, whatever your musical preference.
Beautifully remastered from the best available sources, the tracks on this collection are sure to have the same crossover appeal in the 21st century that they did midway through the 20th.
1. RAMROD - DUANE EDDY
2. SITTIN' IN THE BALCONY - EDDIE COCHRAN
3. HEY BABY - BRUCE CHANNEL
4. THE FOOL - SANFORD CLARK
5. AT MY FRONT DOOR - PAT BOONE
6. DEVOTED TO YOU - THE EVERLY BROTHERS
7. PRETTY BABY (It's been A Long Time) - GINO & GINA
8. BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY - THE FOUR SEASONS
9. MY HEART IS AN OPEN BOOK - CARL DOBKINS, JR.
10. THE STROLL - THE DIAMONDS
11. LOLLIPOP - THE CHORDETTES
12 THAT'S ALL YOU GOTTA DO - BRENDA LEE
13. SECRETLY - JIMMIE RODGERS
14. SO RARE - JIMMY DORSEY AND HIS ORCHESTRA
15. LOTTA LOVIN' - GENE VINCENT AND THE BLUE CAPS
16. CHANSON D'AMOUR - ART & DOTTY TODD
17. THE ALL AMERICAN BOY - BILL PARSONS AND HIS ORCHESTRA
18. THE BIG HURT - (MISS) TONI FISHER
19. PALISADES PARK - FREDDY CANNON
20. KOOKIE, KOOKIE (Lend Me Your Comb) - EDD BYRNES & CONNIE STEVENS
21. 26 MILES (Santa Catalina) - THE FOUR PREPS
22. MY BOY FLAT TOP - BOYD BENNETT AND HIS ROCKETS
23. WHERE OR WHEN - DION AND THE BELMONTS
24. SINGING THE BLUES - GUY MITCHELL
25. QUIET VILLAGE - MARTIN DENNY
26. TIGER - FABIAN
27. GOTTA TRAVEL ON - BILLY GRAMMER
28. JENNIE LEE - JAN & ARNIE
- Price Code
- Release Date
- March 10th 2017
- UPC Bar Code No
- 604988 09572 2