Various Artists - Stirring Up Some Soul - The Original Sound of UK Club Land
Privacy and Security Policy
'SOUL MUSIC arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm & blues into a form for funky, secular testifying.' - Otis Redding.
'SOUL MUSIC is pain - you can hear the slaves, the beatin' and hurtin'.' - Link Wray.
WELCOME to the latest instalment of our 'Adventures in UK Club Land' exploring the 'Club Beat' - the roots of R&B, Ska, Gospel, Jazz, Blues, Mod and, in this chapter, SOUL.
Pre '63 the term 'Soul music' was not in use as a genre defining expression. Artists might be described as 'soulful' such as Chuck Jackson, Baby Washington or the Impressions (featured here), although hardly household names at the time. Even our opening act, the mighty Supremes, were little known over here and, in fact, were jokingly referred to as the non-hit Supremes in their own country. It wasn't until a year or two later, '64-'65, that Soul music really established itself. By then America had, by and large, stopped making traditional R&B, and in the U.K. nobody wanted to hear home-grown R&B-styled white acts, Motown had arrived and Soul music ruled the day.
Soul music today is firmly entrenched in popular culture and we hope you enjoy our retrospective of the sounds that set the Soul template.
1. THE SUPREMES – YOUR HEART BELONGS TO ME
2. THE IMPRESSIONS – MINSTREL AND QUEEN
3. SIDNEY BARNES - WAIT
4. JOYCE DAVIS – MOMENTS TO REMEMBER
5. WALTER JACKSON – I DON'T WANT TO SUFFER
6. JAMIE COE - CLEOPATRA
7. BABY WASHINGTON – HUSH HEART
8. BILLY BLAND – MY HEART'S ON FIRE
9. FRED BRIDGES – BABY DON'T YOU WEEP
10. THE MAJESTICS – TREAT ME LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED
11. TONY SMITH & COMBO – MR. JOHN'S CHA CHA
12. VERNON HARRELL – SLICK CHICK
13. BILLY LA MONT – I'M GONNA TRY
14. IRMA THOMAS – I DID MY PART
15. LEROY JONES – HIDE ‘NOR HAIR
16. SONNY FORRIEST – TRAIN
17. DOROTHY BERRY & JIMMY NORMAN – I'M WITH YOU ALL THE WAY
18. ELI LEE – I GET THE FEELIN'
19. JOHNNY ACEY – PLEASE DON'T GO (BACK TO BALTIMORE)
20. SONNY THOMPSON – LOST IN THIS GREAT BIG CITY
21. JR. WALKER & THE ALL STARS – CLEO'S MOOD
22. CHUCK JACKSON – ANY DAY NOW (My Wild Beautiful Bird)
23. BARBARA GEORGE – THE RECIPE (FOR PERFECT FOOLS)
24. JEAN DUSHON – PLAYTHING
25. ROOSEVELT NETTLES – HEARTACHES AND TROUBLE
- Price Code
- Release Date
- July 12th 2019
- UPC Bar Code No
- 604988 10432 5