Various Artists - The Meaning of the Blues - The Legacy of Paul Oliver 1927-2017
Privacy and Security Policy
The late Paul Oliver (1927-2017) spent a great deal of his adult life researching and writing about the blues. In a literary career that spanned more than half a century, Oliver wrote ten books about various aspects of the blues, with the emphasis on the artists who recorded, and the music they made, from the mid-1920s to the outbreak of World War Two.
In 1960 Oliver's second book 'Blues Fell This Morning' set the benchmark for all subsequent blues literature. It's still universally acclaimed to this day and has been in print ever since.
Like many of Oliver's subsequent books, 'Blues Fell This Morning' was accompanied by a companion vinyl album of the same title. Its original release was greeted with the same degree of enthusiasm as the book. Many of the artists it featured had long been forgotten by all but a few. Some remain virtually or completely unknown to this day.
In tribute to Oliver, Jasmine has proudly reissued the original album, in its original running order, as the first part of 'The Meaning Of The Blues'. This collection is completed by the majority of the tracks originally featured on the album that accompanied the publication of Oliver's third blues book, 'Screening The Blues', in 1968 (time restrictions for a CD prevented all of them being included). None of the recordings in this collection had ever been reissued prior to the release of the two original albums. Some of them have never been reissued since - until now.
Either as an accompaniment to Oliver's books or as a stand-alone gathering of early black American music, 'The Meaning Of The Blues' is an essential and enlightening collection in every way. As an audio tribute to the man who pioneered blues writing in such an authoritative manner, it could hardly be bettered.
1. GRAVEL CAMP BLUES - LEWIS BLACK
2. STARVATION FARM BLUES - BOB CAMPBELL
3. CHOCOLATE TO THE BONE - BARBECUE BOB
4. COURT STREET BLUES - STOVEPIPE NO. 1 AND DAVID CROCKETT
5. WHEN YOU GET TO THINKING - TEXAS ALEXANDER
6. TALLAHASSEE BLUES - TALLAHASSEE TIGHT
7. SKIN GAME BLUES - PEG LEG HOWELL
8. ELM STREET BLUES - TEXAS BILL DAY AND BILLKEN JOHNSON
9. BAD BOY - BAREFOOT BILL
10. WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS - KANSAS JOE AND MEMPHIS MINNIE
11. WHEN YOU ARE GONE - BLIND BOY FULLER
12. STRANGE PLACE BLUES - BUKKA WHITE
13. LONESOME BLUES - HENRY WILLIAMS AND EDDIE ANTHONY
14. WAKING BLUES - OTIS HARRIS
15. THIEVING BLUES - JACK RANGER
16. DENOMINATION BLUES PART 1 - WASHINGTON PHILLIPS
17. DENOMINATION BLUES PART 2 - WASHINGTON PHILLIPS
18. NOBODY KNOWS (What The Good Deacon Does) - HAMBONE WILLIE NEWBERN
19. POLICY DREAM BLUES (You Better Get On It) - BUMBLE BEE SLIM
20. JOE LOUIS STRUT - MEMPHIS MINNIE, BLACK BOB AND BILL SETTLES
21. SISSY MAN BLUES - GEORGE NOBLE
22. PHONOGRAPH BLUES - ROBERT JOHNSON
23. ROLL AND TUMBLE BLUES - HAMBONE WILLIE NEWBERN
24. SWEET PETUNIA - CURLEY WEAVER
25. SHAVE 'EM DRY - BESSIE JACKSON
26. HE'S IN THE RING (Doin' The Same Old Thing) - MEMPHIS MINNIE
- Price Code
- Release Date
- May11th, 2018
- UPC Bar Code No
- 604988 30912 6
12 other products in the same category: